Monday, April 19, 2010

Southern Italy

Back from an amazing trip:

Napoli:

Loved the gallery. it was interesting to see such a modern structure embedded deep within the older city fabric. It was right near the crowded Spanish quarter so it sort of popped out on ya. It took me forever to complete the sketch, partially because the building proportions were giving me difficulty but also because there were some guys near me selling the most annoying battery operated horse! I was considering buying it just so I could kick it across the corridor. But the sketch came out pretty sweet so... Oh and there was an open church that I stumbled into with the most amazing trompe l'oeil. I was convinced it was real.


Capri:

Just off the coast of the city was the island of Capri, home to the magnificent Casa Malaparte. Perhaps the most amazing residence I have ever visited (rivaled only by Falling Water), it had an intimate connection with the landscape. The bright orange-red stuck out like a sore thumb (which is generally considered a mark of non conscious environmental design) was perfectly designed for its location. Each of the windows framed a specific picture created by the cliff line and flat ocean plane.


Pompei:

Epic! never have I seen ruins so intact. We were easily to put together the type of urban environment classical inhabitants were living in. My favorite area was probable the House of the Tragic Poet, just because the floor mosaic in the entrance was wonderful. It was a picture of a dog and said "cave canem" - beware of the dog. Another great part of the day trip was seeing the Pompeian strategy for dealing with street sewage and waste. Basically they sunk the street, heightening the curb allowing the waste flow without inhibiting pedestrian traffic. When someone had to cross the street, they placed tall rocks that still allows carts to pass unobstructed.



Sorrento:

relaxing, I enjoyed an excellent cookie there, probable the best since I arrived in Rome. It was definitely a place I could retire to, everyone was really chill. The whole town is built up on cliff, I ended up swimming in the sea when I reached the bottom. It was freezing!




Now that were back in Rome, There was some history studying that happened, took the final today so the only classes left are sketching and studio, and sketching ends tomorrow! Ahhh its all coming to a close way to fast! time to focus on the third project I guess.

Ciao ragazzi






No comments:

Post a Comment